The meatball sub is a firm favourite of students, and busy families. Not only is it fast and easy to make, but it’s filling and nutritious. Remember you can always use ready-made meatballs if you’re running out of time!
6 Hannah’s Bakery Salad Batons
450g. freshly ground beef brisket or sirloin
1 small onion, grated
1 clove of garlic, grated
2 Tbsp steak spice
½ tsp chili powder
Barbecue Sauce – Pick your favourite
Sliced swiss cheese, lettuce, and horseradish mayo for serving
Contains proteins and complex carbohydrates.
On average each meatball sub contains 600 calories
1. Chill the meat until it’s as cold as possible without being frozen.
2. Using your hands, mix the onion, garlic, steak spice, and chili powder into the meat.
3. Form into 1½-inch balls and lay them out on waxed paper.
4. Chill the meatballs in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
5. Preheat your grill to medium-high, around 200°c and getting the other ingredients ready for assembling.
6. Grill the meatballs over direct heat for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until an instant read thermometer reads 70°c.
7. Toss the meatballs in the barbecue sauce of your choice, and then assemble your delicious meatball subs.
8. Garnish with lettuce and cheese, topping with some horseradish and mayo.