4 slices of Hannah’s Bakery thick white bread (can be substituted for other bread types)
4 slices Ham
4 slice gruyere cheese (or Emmental)
240ml whole milk
1tbsp all-purpose flour
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to high.
2. In a saucepan melt the butter on medium heat and add the flour. Mix every 30 seconds until the mixture begins to turn light brown.
3. Add the milk to the saucepan and whisk until combined. Continue to whisk every 1 minute. Turn heat from medium to low once the milk begins to simmer. Continue simmering and whisking every 30 seconds until Béchamel sauce has thickened.
4. Add a pinch of salt and nutmeg, whisking until combined. Take saucepan off of the heating and set aside.
5. Lightly toast all 4 slices of Hannah’s thick sliced bread.
6. Place all of the toasted slices on a parchment paper lined oven tray.
7. Top each slice of toasted bread with 1 slice of ham, 2 tbsp of béchamel sauce, make sure to spread evenly. Top with 1tbsp of grated cheese.
8. Place the tray on the top oven shelf and grill for 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and begins to brown.
9. Enjoy as individual slices or combine 2 slices to make a sandwich!